Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Questions for your Artistic Self - #2

Are you making a statement with your performances?

I’d like to address the importance of this question: too often if we’re honest, we hear, see, and take in performances that puzzle us due to lack of imagination amongst other things. From time to time, I've seen performances where I've been blown away and swept up in the experience. Then there are times when I wonder why that person is standing there at all. I usually feel that way when I sense the performer isn't showing me themselves somehow - however I perceive that.

Now mind you, I don't think it's bad to lack imagination. This too is valued and has it's place. I’m not so sure it works in the realm of creative output, though. In other words, why choose to listen to a Bob Dylan copy when I can just go home and listen to him, himself on a CD.

What are we trying to convey in our performances? What do we want to evoke? How do we want our audience to feel after experiencing what we do? Why are we standing up there?

No comments: